Do you want to build a website? That's easier said than done. You have to take note of many things for you to be sure that it will become a successful one.
Whether you are planning to hire a website design specialist in Utah or doing it yourself, here are some important dos and don’ts.
- Keep it simple – Many DIY website builders offer clean-looking templates that you can easily tinker with. But simplicity is not just about design and copy. It’s also about site navigation and functionality. Don’t try to cram everything in one page. Make sure that every copy and every photo is relevant to what you are selling.
- Use high-resolution images – According to KISSmetrics, a content with “relevant” images rake in 94 percent more views compared to those without. Relevant also means high resolution, the kind that people can view without becoming pixelated. There are many websites that offer royalty-free images. Head to Unsplash.com and Pexels.com for inspiration.
- Work on your call-to-action – A call-to-action button tells online visitors what to do. Do you want them to subscribe, become a fan, call you, or buy something? Whatever your goal is, make sure it is clear, easy to read and simple.
- Don’t add a page counter – Sure, it’s nice to see and keep track and boast about how many visits your site already has but this is such an amateur thing to do. And people don’t like to work with an amateur. Your website analytics can track your page views and keep it private.
- Don’t add flashing text – Even if you’re advertising a sale or an exclusive promotion, flashing or blinking text is so old school. Apart from looking like an amateur, blinking text is so irritating.
- Don’t create a blog if you can’t sustain it – Content marketing works if you can commit to publishing regular posts. This means you need to publish at least one blog entry a week that is optimized for the search engines. Otherwise, your efforts will all be in vain, especially if you are not publishing relevant and good quality content.
For businesses, having a website is not only a way of reaching out to more customers. It's also a way to tell people that your business is legitimate. For freelancers, projects are the resumes and having a website is the best way to showcase your projects. Use these guidelines when building your own website and keep them in mind when you talk to a professional who can build your site for you.