An enclosed land propertySquatters are a common problem for many landowners. The incidences of travellers illegally pitching camp on private property particularly increase in summer because of the more bearable climate. These travellers cause a significant disturbance in your land and the surrounding community.

They also at most times leave a significant mess for you to clear when they leave. Traveller eviction is the best option to protect your land and limit disturbance in your neighbourhood. Here are the various legal options for travellers eviction.

Common Law

The rights of property owners under common laws allow them to remove travellers from their land using force. Enforcement agents carry out the eviction.

A notice is handed or fixed at various visible positions on the land, after which, travellers 24 hours to leave. However, there is no penalty for the travellers, should they come back after eviction.

Emergency High Court or County Court

Part 55 of the law might require hiring a solicitor and hence incurring extra costs. Part 55 procedures filed in county court take approximately 10–14 days before a ruling. Proceedings presented as an emergency in high court take 3–4 days. A bailiff implements the eviction.

Criminal Law Procedures

Local authorities this law section to remove illegal encampments on land within their jurisdiction. The local authority does not necessarily have to own the land.

They can place criminal sanctions on the travellers, should they return within three months of eviction. Certified enforcement agents do the eviction.

Ensure you use an agency in evicting traveller illegally staying in your property. Decent enforcement agent companies have at least five million pounds worth of professional indemnity and public liability insurance.

This ensures bailiffs to carry out their job to the highest standards and cause as minimal damage to your property as possible.