Lead Poisoning in Salt Lake CityLead, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, is one of the most toxic elements naturally occurring in the earth, although it does come with some benefits. When a person comes into contact with lead, poisoning may occur, especially when exposure takes place for several months or years. However, note that exposure even to just minute amounts can already cause major health issues.

Those at the greatest risk of lead poisoning include children younger than six years old, as it can seriously affect their physical and mental development. Anyone exposed to very high doses of lead can suffer from life-threatening conditions.

Fortunately, there are now a variety of ways to treat this type of poisoning, and some outfits in Salt Lake City offer lead testing. In addition, you can minimize the risk you and your family have through the implementation of simple precautionary methods.

Exposure: How it Happens

Exposure to lead can happen through a number of ways. One is through coming into contact with lead-based paint. Older homes in Salt Lake City still have lead-containing paint. Exposure can also occur when a person consumes foods and beverages contaminated with lead from lead-containing plates, glasses, and other utensils.

Other sources of exposure include inhalation of contaminated air or coming into contact with tainted soil and water. People who work in facilities involved with manufacturing or repairs of batteries, car repair shops, and home renovations also have higher risks of exposure.

Symptoms of Poisoning

Symptoms of lead poisoning vary from person to person, but those at greatest risk are young children and pregnant women. In children, signs may come in the form of delay in their physical and mental developmental, irritability, loss of appetite and weight, fatigue, sluggish movement, vomiting, abdominal pain, vomiting, and hearing loss. Pregnant women who suffer from lead poisoning may experience miscarriage or premature birth.

In all other people, lead poisoning indications include hypertension, constipation, joint and muscle pains, headaches, memory loss, mood disorders, and abdominal pain among many others.

The quickest, most efficient way to ensure your home is lead-free is to contact a lead testing specialist. This way, you can proceed to develop the most appropriate approach to eradicating this toxic element from your home.